Thursday, September 20, 2018

The Splendid Sampler II, Week 14: Fruit Bowl





Today is Week 14 of the Splendid Sampler 2 Block-of-the-Week quilt along.

Last time, we introduced you to the block, called: Betty's Bloom by Carl Hentsch. You can see my version of Carl's block, here.


Jo Avery of My Bear Paw is this week's designer and I ADORE her sense of style! I'm also envious of the fact that she lives in Scotland! Right now, she's hosting a giveaway, so check out her blog post and the details, here.

Jo uses such gorgeous colors and prints in the fabrics she works with; I love her eclectic mix. She has a playful style and her applique and embroidery designs make you smile! Earlier this year, Jo was featured as the Aurifil 2018 March Designer of the Month. Through the interview post on Aurifil's blog, you'll learn even more about her, as well as view some awesome photos of architectural elements she came across while in Portugal with her husband.

Jo's block, called Fruit Bowl, is an applique and pieced block. Here is my version:







I did something a little bit differently than what the pattern called for when I made my block. Before beginning, I trimmed out the Convex template. As I was thinking through how I was going to be making the block, I decided to make it easy on myself and applique the Convex shape to a 3" x 3" square.






Steps to Make an Applique Drunkard's Path Patch:
Please Note: Along with the following steps, refer to Helen Stubbings' video instructions (there are 3 videos, total) on how to use her Hugs 'n Kisses applique paper.

  1. As shown in above image, trim off the 1/4" seam allowance along the curve of the Convex paper template, ONLY (leave the 1/4" printed seam allowance along the two sides of the 90 degree angle).
  2. Trace the trimmed Convex paper template shape twice onto Helen Stubbings' applique paper; cut the shapes out.
  3. With glue-side of the applique paper shape onto WRONG side of cream/gray dot fabric, press the applique paper Convex shape in place.
  4. Trim the applique paper Convex shape from cream/gray dot adding 1/4" seam allowance to the curve ONLY; you'll trim the 90 degree angle edges even with the applique paper because it already includes 1/4" seam allowances.
  5. Using a glue stick, glue the added 1/4" fabric along the curve of the Convex shape onto the back side of the applique paper.
  6. Cut two squares, 3" x 3", from your background fabric (the light gray/medium gray dot fabric shown in previous photo).
  7. Line up the prepared Convex applique paper shapes into the corners of the 3" squares from Step 6 and carefully glue in place according to Helen Stubbings' instructions.
  8. Use desired hand (what I used) or machine applique along the curve to adhere the Convex shape onto the 3" square base fabric.
Note: I did fussy cut the Convex shapes.

As with all of the applique I've done with the blocks I've made for The Splendid Sampler II, thus far, I used Helen Stubbings' Hugs 'n Kisses applique paper for the circles in the bowl, as well, and hand appliqued them in place.







The Splendid Sampler 2 book will be available October 2018. It is currently available for pre-sale so order your copy, now!

No comments: