Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Quick Lesson In Modern Fabric Stash Building

There has been a trend in fabrics over the past several years, where more vibrant colors are selected for collections. It seems that each one that comes out is fresher than the last. I love the happy, feel-good hues and simple, less-than-complicated designs. Open fields with flower bouquets. Large, tiled prints. Oversize paisleys.

One of my favorite online fabric shops is Over the Rainbow. Laura Van Divier, owner of OTR, recently hosted a sale that I couldn't resist. I found some treasures I'd like to mix into my growing "trend" stash and incorporate into some upcoming projects.

Fabrics from FreeSpirit, Moda, Michael Miller, and Rowan

Of course when shopping sales, it is likely you won't find all of the colors or styles you prefer. My philosophy is to buy what appeals to you, then add in balanced color as your stash grows.

I found the leopard bag handles at a knitting shop that is closing in our tiny downtown. Immediately upon seeing them, a design for a simple bag to stitch up came to mind. A future pattern? Perhaps.

Sign up for OTR's detailed newsletters where you'll hear about upcoming and on-going sales, as well as all of their newest available fabric collections. Besides, when you sign-up, you're registering to win a $10 gift certificate chosen each month.


No comments: